Tuesday 10 May 2011

Identity Theft?

With this new age of computers, credit cards, and technology a huge problem of losing your identity has surfaced. People simply steal away who you are. It weird to think about how easily we can change into someone else.... this leads me to the question "what defines a person?" I believe that rather then by your name or how you look you are defined by cumulative experiences in your life. Experience shapes you and slowly molds you into who you are. Life isn't about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself. For many rural kids holding on to who we are, I believe, becomes a challenge. Today I attended an advising session for Red Deer College... I know, what a scary thought!!! The biggest change that I initially noticed wasn't that the school was much larger then I'm use to or that it was surrounded by city rather then fields. The biggest change was the people I noticed around me. They weren't your typical David Thompson High School rural kids... instead there were people of all different types! I then continued onto my advising session where I met kids going into a similar program as I am.... They were all super cool but different. They come from towns and cities, not the farm! As we grow up I think it is going to be harder and harder to hold onto our roots. The rural in us might be carefully molded to become business men and women. If this isn't true identity theft, what is? Thats why I think it's extremely important to always remember where you come from! Embrace your love for agriculture and allow others into your world, don't conform to theirs! I proudly told those kids where I lived and what we do for a living. Rather then mentioning school sports as a hobby, I mentioned 4-H! I'm always going to be proud of where I come from and who I am! What makes you the most proud of your up-bringing?





No comments:

Post a Comment